Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Sic semper tyrannis.

 I came up with "Sic semper tyrannis" as the post's name because it has been stuck in my mind since last Thursday.

Here is something from Wikipedia for those who are not familiar with the term:

Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus always to tyrants." The full quotation, Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis(literally : "Thus always I eradicate tyrants' lives"), or "death to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant." The phrase is often said to have originated with Marcus Junius Brutus during the assassination of Julius Caesar, but according to Plutarch, Brutus either did not have a chance to say anything, or if he did, no one heard what was said:"Caesar thus done to death, the senators, although Brutus came forward as if to say something about what had been done, would not wait to hear him, but burst out of doors and fled, thus filling the people with confusion and helpless fear..."[1] 
The phrase has been invoked historically in Europe and other parts of the world as an epithet or rallying cry against abuse of power. It is the official motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the city of Allentown, Pennsylvania. In the United States it is best known as the words John Wilkes Booth said that he shouted during his assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.
Now, I had originally thought that it meant, "Long live the tyrants." But now that I think about it, that thought it basically the same as "Thus always." I am not very good with my Latin. I got maybe 6 lessons in the book before I wanted to switch to Italian. I like Italian much better.

 Though, it is true that Latin is pretty much the "base" for languages such as Italian. Latin is also a base for Spanish too. Some words in Latin are very similar--if not the same--to some words in Italian and Spanish. I am not sure if French is included in this, however. That would be something I would have to look up.

 For example, Gratias is Latin for "Thanks." Such as Deo gratias--which is Latin for "Thanks be to God."

"Thanks" in Italian, is Grazie. It's pretty close to the Latin word for thanks. Granted, I am not very good with my Italian--yet, and I did think it was spelled g-r-a-t-s-i...Nevertheless, I will continue to work on it. As for the Latin, I know a good deal of it from things I have memorized over the years. I cannot speak it fluently like I can English, but I mentally know a few things...such as prayers and the like. But if you asked me to say them out loud, well, I am not a public speaker. :)

Anyway, to finish up what I was saying, the Spanish word for "Thanks" is gracias.

Gratias.
Gracia.
Grazie.

I believe them to be fairly similar.*

I didn't think this was to be some sort of lesson on the similarities of "Thanks", but I guess that's what it turned out to be!

I believe it was originally some sort of rant on a News post my Dad sent to me about Merida.

Another day, I guess.

I's a beautiful day outside. It's cold though. I am inside because I have been feeling under the weather. Figured I would read something before I either took a nap, or watched a movie. My dog didn't want to watch anything with me today. ~sob~

I found a "Pajama Diaries" comic in one of the gazillion papers my little sister saves for me--I cut the funny ones out and put them in a scrapbook. Like the ones used for photographs. Weird? Nah--and it was totally, totally true.


Ahaa.

I gotta go. I might watch/read something that has to do with Lord Of The Rings...

I don't know.

Have an awesome day now.

~Natsu~
 
*This is my opinion of the languages. It may be true, it may not be, I read it in a book somewhere...I apologize if it's wrong. ^.^

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguse, etc. are all Romance languages and are thus derived from Latin. ;) You had it right.

    'Gratias' is the plural accusative of 'gratia', which can mean 'grace, influence, favor, thanks'.

    Ahhh, Italian. It looks and sounds so pretty. Another language I would love to learn some day, right after Old English and Greek and who knows what else... *headbang* Nerd problems.

    In Pace Christi,

    Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I was right! I read it in a book somewhere...I think it was a Latin book. Ugh, if I can remember, I will tell you.

    I know! I *love* Italian. I was listening to Pope Francis talk and I wasn't even listening to the translator because the Italian was SO pretty! I only know maybe a sentence or two...I am so lazy when it comes to languages...

    I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE TO LEARN OLD ENGLISH!! They use Old English words for the spells on Merlin. It's so pretty! I want to learn Gaelic too...but I can't find any good books or programs to learn it with...

    Nerd problems are good problems :D

    Natsu

    ReplyDelete