Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Great Gatsby.

Hello!

So here's the thing. I gave up going to the Library for Lent. That means no new library material every weekend. I haven't put anything on hold, and I didn't send my sister in with a list of books and my card. I don't even go on the trips. I stay at home. There was this one time that I went so I could go to Walmart, and I did have to go into the library to drop things in the return box. This was only because everyone else was too chicken to go inside. (I guess they had fines on their cards and were afraid that the librarians would go super-ninja on em and take their lives.) So zipped up my hood and stared only at the floor as I returned the books. But that was pretty early on.

Since then, I have been holding up to it. I gave it up because it was what I most enjoyed. But now thinking back about it, I should have given up Pinterest. Lol. Maybe next year.

This time has given me a chance to read the books that I bought last summer that have been sitting on my shelf for a year. 

One of those books was "Stealing the Preacher" by Karen Witemeyer. I have written about her before and put her work up with high praise. My sister read this book before me (I know, I am ashamed--but I was busy!) and she kept harping me to read it. I finally sat down on Sunday and began.

This particular story follows Crockett Archer, rancher turned Preacher as he travels in the hopes of gaining a Preaching position in a neighboring town. Things don't go exactly as planned, and he runs into Joanna Robbins. Joanna has been looking for a parson to start up the church that has for so long been quiet. She wants this so that she can save her Daddy's soul. 

(Silas Robbins was pretty against preachers because of some sad, horrible back-story that I won't include.)

In the end, it all works out perfectly--though there are SO many challenges. Some of them almost made me cry. It was really good. 

We have seen Crockett Archer in "Short-Straw Bride," so it was easy to enjoy him once again. He's no Travis, haha, but a great character. Margaret claimed that he winked--to anyone and everyone, practically--about 45 times all together. So as I read it, it was more almost 20 times than 45 times.

Lovely book, if you are into Historical Fiction, I highly recommend it.

There isn't much in terms of fandom with these kinds of books. Unless you count the middle-aged Amish women that read them. I can understand reading the regular novels, but what gets me is that they also read the Beverly Lewis stuff. (I never cared much for the "Amish novels" as my brother calls them. I prefer the cowboys.) I don't understand, because, don't they live that kind of life? Why would they need to read about it? Though, now thinking about it, I am sure there is more drama in it.

Eh, who am I to judge.

SOOOOOO...anyway!! I finished it today, so I started the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Thus far, it's a book about this guy named Nick who went to visit some rich friends of his who he really didn't know at all.

Daisy is crazy.

Miss Baker is equally strange. 

We have yet to see Gatsby.

So far, it's pretty good.

Wow. That's a load of text up there.

Well.

I may be back, though we are nearing Easter so there is much to be done. David Tennant's birthday is on Good Friday this year, so I don't know if I will post something about that...on that particular day. It's really quiet around here on that day....

sigh...

I may come tomorrow.

Anne

1 comment:

  1. I would *definitely* suspect the librarians of all secretly being ninjas. XD

    In Pace Christi,

    Elyse

    ReplyDelete